The following objectives are foreseen in the course:
1) to provide students the basic understanding of the earthquake physics and world seismicity;
2) understanding the physical background of the interaction of seismic waves with the ground and with the structures;
3) understanding the fundamental concepts of structural dynamics with simple models of single-degree-of-freedom and multi-degreees-of-freedom oscillators;
4) understanding the background of seismic actions for design and assessment of structures;
5) to provide students open source software for the seismic analysis of structures and let them work on the seismic analysis of realistic structures;
6) introducing the basic elements to understand the seismic vulnerability of structures and to govern the seismic conceptual design of buildings;
7) introducing the concepts of capacity design of structures, exploiting their ductility capacity.